The recent eligibility issue at South Meck combined with the Independence issue last week bring to light a very important subject, high school athletic eligibility. At South Meck, they were forced to forfeit their 1st round playoff game right before loading the bus for the game. From all indications no real harm was intended, the Yokely's were up front and filled out what they thought was the proper paperwork. The South Meck AD failed to catch the one form that was missing and the Sabres paid the ultimate price. I can only imagine what it felt like to be a Sabre football player on that Friday afternoon.
At Indy, a player is caught using an illegal address and is removed from the team and Indy continued on in the playoffs. Reason given for no school punishment was the kid lied, so the school doesn't pay the price. Very hard for me to believe that no one at the school, the coaches or AD knew he didn't live in the district.
Many feel the message CMS and NCHSAA delivered is if you are going to try to play for a school whose district you aren't in, then LIE, that way the school pays no price for turning their heads and accepting whatever the kid says, even if you know its not true. The Yokely's were up front and outside of the AD mistake, had done everything correct. Yet, the entire football program pays the price. I can understand removing Yokely from the roster, but how do you punish all the other kids that have been honest and worked hard all season long?
These two cases have received all the headlines, but it's safe to say there are many, many more in all sports. Now is the time for Peter Gorman and his CMS staff to do a massive overhaul on how they determine athletic eligibility. I don't have all the answers, but I know it's time to remove any doubt from the eyes of the taxpayers and parents of CMS students.
If nothing is done now, its only a matter of time before the actions of one player will ruin the seasons for the remainder of a team. No one person is more important than an entire team of kids.
I would encourage parents of athletes to ask questions if they know of a possible issue. Make sure all forms are in order, otherwise it could be your son or daughter whose season ends in a split second because of the actions of others.
As a side note - West Charlotte and Indy play in a huge football game Friday night at Memorial Stadium. The Observer is said to be investigating some other players eligibility. What would happen if at 4:30pm on Friday afternoon, another issues similar to the Yokely's came to light on one of the players in this game? Would CMS make the call and award one team the winner and walk away from what will be the largest gate in Charlotte high school history? Wouldn't that be interesting.............. For the kids that have followed the rules, I hope it doesn't happen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment