Sunday, July 20, 2008

The ESPY's -- My favorite memory


I grew up an NC State fan. It came from the days of David Thompson and Monte Towe. I remember being a mere child and watching those guys win the national title. Jim Valvano arrived at NC State 6-8 years later and I attended 3 of his basketball camps. He was so charismatic and passionate about the game. While NC State quickly fell to the wayside when I chose East Carolina for college, I kept a special feeling about Jim Valvano.

It was crushing news to hear about his cancer. I was lucky enough, along with my friend Chip Hutchinson to attend a basketball game near the end of Jim Valvano's life. It was a game versus Duke and Jim was there to announce it for ABC Sports since he had already left coaching. He was barely hanging on at this time, but at halftime they held a special event for Coach V. Almost all of his players were in attendance from the past, he talked of his love of NCSU, he knew this was one of his last times in public and he took full advantage of it to entertain the crowd. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

I don't remember is this was before or after his famous Never Give Up Speech at the ESPY's. That speech was one of the greatest speeches of all times and I encourage you to go to You Tube and watch it if you have never had the opportunity. I still have my bumper sticker that says DON't EVER GIVE UP!

Watching the ESPY's tonight reminded me of Coach V and his legacy.

His lasting words should be remembered by all DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T EVER GIVE UP

No comments: